and Red Beans:
Serving size: 3-4 people
1 cup Razmah/red beans; 1tsp. chili powder,
½ shonth/ginger powder,
2 small onions,
2 cloves garlic,
1 piece of ginger,
½ badiyan/fennel powder ,
½ tsp. zeera,/cumin seed
2-3 tbsp. of oil,
salt to taste
2 glasses of water.
For cooking any dal, my suggestion is to buy slow cooker or crock-pot,
and put all ingredients together in Crock-pot and let daal cook all day
or all night. If you leave daal in slow cooker before you go to work,
it will be ready by the time you are home. Razmah/red beans, warimooth/black
beans, moong beans, channa beans/yellow split peas, musoor beansl /lentil,
etc are all different varieties of daals.
• Cut turnip in to cubical shape, and keep aside.
• Cut small pieces of onion, garlic, and ginger and keep aside
• Pressure cook razmah till whistling starts. turn flame ot heat
of stove to mediam or low. Cook for an hour.
• Open the lid ,
• Add turnip.
• Take oil in a pan.
• Fry in oil chopped garlic, ginger, onion and zeera(tadka).
• Add tomatoes to paste in oil and fry.
• Add chili powder, shonth, badiyan.
• Add onion paste/tadaka to razmah in pressure cooker and boil for
• Check softness of razmah before adding tadka (tomato, onion, garlic
and ginger paste in oil); you might need more boiling time.
• Garnish it with cilantro when it is ready.
Note: If you have planned already to cook razmah and want to save time,
then soak razmah overnight or for a couple of hours before cooking. You
can also replace dry razmah with tinned razmah available in all supermarkets.
This will save your time of boiling or soaking the beans. All you have
to add tadka to tinned razmah in a pan and boil.
Serving size: 4 people
One cup of Razmah/red beans;
1tsp ledar/turmeric powder,
1 tsp shonth/ginger powder of badiyan/fennel powder,
½ of red chili powder/marchwangan,
1 tbs of oil,
salt to taste,
pinch of heeng/ asafetida,
var/kashmiri masala (optional).
• Pressure cook razmah for 30 minutes and let pressure drop in
• Cut turnip in to cubical shape
• Add all the above-ingredients and turnip to pressure cooker.
• Pressure cook till whistling starts. Slow the heat. Cook for 1
• Open the pressure cooker only after pressure has dropped in cooker.
• Add vari to Razmah/red beans;