ROATH(Kashmiri dryfruit Cake)
Serving size: Makes : 8 pieces
- 1 kg wheat flour,
- 1cup sugar,
- 2 tbsp ghee/clarified butter (for mixing),
- 11/ 2 tsp khus-khus/poppy seed,
- 3 black crushed cardamom,
- 500 gm ghee (for frying).
- 20 soaked and peeled almond
- Mix 2 tbsp. of ghee and black cardamom with the flour.
- Rub it in well.
- Mix the sugar with 11/2 cup of water in a bowl.
- When the sugar has dissolved, add it to the flour.
- Knead well and make stiff dough. Add more water, if necessary.
- Make eight balls of equal size with the dough and roll them into half-inch thick rounds, about eight to nine inches in diameter.
- Pierce with a fork all over and decorate by marking designs.
- Brush little yogurt on bread and sprinkle little khus-khus/poppy seed.
- Press almonds and cashew nuts
- Fry in medium-hot ghee/clarified butter till bread is reddish brown.
- Fry both sides by turning with ladle carefully.
- Silver foil is also pasted on roath after frying.(optional)
- Note : Roaths are usually prepared at the time of the Kashmiri festival, Pun in the month of September. Roath is prepared and puja is performed to invoke gods for blessings for the prosperity and good luck. Traditionally a folk story is related by elder person of the family.